Saturday, January 5, 2013

SNGF: Where Were They 100 Years ago?

Randy at Genea-Musings has issued this challenge for January 5, 2013's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun:

Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

1)  Determine where your ancestral families were on 1 January 1913 - 100 years ago.

2)  List them, their family members, their birth years, and their residence location (as close as possible).  Do you have a photograph of their residence from about that time, and does the residence still exist?


3)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status or Google+ Stream post.

My great grandparents were all living in the United States in January of 1913.

My great grandparents, Leroy and Ada (Steen) Parker were living on a farm in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio in January, 1913. Their children at that time were: Glenn, almost 8; my grandfather Steen, almost 5; and Paul, who was two years old. Below is a picture of the Parker farmhouse, which no longer exists. (In the Spring of 1941, several Perkins Township farms were purchased by the United States Government, in order to make way for a munitions factory needed for World War Two.)



My great grandma, Irene Larkins Wheeler Risko, was married several times, and she had divorced her first husband by 1913. My best guess is that in January of 1913, she was back at home with her father, Thomas F. Larkins, and his wife Emma, Irene's stepmother. Irene's little daughter, my maternal grandmother, Doris would have been two and a half years old at this time. The Larkins extended family lived at 1315 Adams Street in Sandusky, but soon they would move to 1309 Shelby Street. I do not have a picture of either of these homes.

My great grandparents, Hungarian immigrants, Joseph and Julia Orshoski were living in Dorchester, Virginia in January, 1913, where Grandpa Joe worked in the coal mines. As this residence was in a different state than their home in 1900 and 1920, I do not have a census record to check for a possible address. In January 1913, Grandpa Joe and Grandma Julia had five little boys, ranging in age from 2 to 8. Their oldest son was my paternal grandfather, Steve Orshoski.

My great grandparents, Andrew and Lena Yeager, lived in Oxford Township, Erie County, in January 1913. Grandpa Yeager worked as a farmer. The Yeager children at that time included Fred, age 8; my paternal grandmother, Emma, age 7; Andrew, age 5; and an infant girl who died very young. I do not have a picture of their home. Grandpa Yeager was born in Germany, and both of Grandma Yeager's parents were born in Germany.

I have a rich background, filled with ancestors, some who lived in the United States for many generations, and several who were relatively recent immigrants to the U.S. It was really interesting to me to hear my Hungarian great grandparents speak with a foreign accent, and to eat the rich, hearty food made by my Grandma Emma, and my Great Grandma Ada, Great Grandma Yeager, and Great Grandma Orshoski.Thinking about where my ancestors were one hundred years age has  helped me to realize how those who have gone before me truly exemplify the proverbial "melting pot."

1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

How wonderful that you were able to give all these family members a home on that date!