Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday's Tip: Search the Morgan Index of Ohio People, Businesses and Institutions, 1796-1850


The Morgan Index of Ohio People, Businesses and Institutions, 1796-1850 is an index of names of Ohioans whose names appeared in books, pamphlets, and historical directories between the years of 1796-1850. The index is part of a collection now hosted by the American Antiquarian Society. Contact the American Antiquarian Society if you have questions about the Morgan Index.


Click here to do a search in the Morgan Index of Ohio People, Businesses and Institutions, 1796-1850.

When I enter the keywords Sandusky and Lott, the search retrieves the names of four members of the Lott family who died during Sandusky’s cholera epidemic in 1849.

A search with the keywords of Sandusky, Oberlin, and ladies retrieves the names of several young women who were students at Oberlin College in the 1840s and 1850s.

We learn that Pitt Cooke was a student at Kenyon College in Gambier in 1834, by entering the words Pitt and Cooke and Sandusky into the search box. Pitt Cooke was the brother of Civil War financier, Jay Cooke.

President Rutherford B. Hayes was a student at Kenyon College in 1841. To learn those details, I entered the keywords Rutherford and Birchard into the search box.

While I did not find any of my ancestors listed in the Morgan Index of Ohio People, Businesses and Institutions, 1796-1850, I was amazed to learn so many details about people who lived in my home state at such an early time in history. I encourage you to explore the Morgan index if you have ancestors from Ohio.




4 comments:

PalmsRV said...

Love the tip, Dorene!

David said...

Thanks for the tip. I was able to find my great-great grandfather's brother who was a Cincinnati printer in 1842.

Dorene from Ohio said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

This is a great tip and I've included it on my Friday Favorites for today. Thanks for sharing!