Friday, October 30, 2009

Lewis W. House

Lewis W. House was the son of Lindsey and Mary Ann Young House, and the grandson of Perkins Township pioneer settler Julius House. Hewson Peeke wrote in his book A STANDARD HISTORY OF ERIE COUNTY, OHIO that Lewis House was "a very enterprising and prosperous farmer and breeder of livestock."

Lewis House married Miss Jennie Parker, a sister of George B. Parker. (Lewis House and Marion House were siblings, and they married siblings, Jennie Parker and George B. Parker.) Lewis and Jennie Parker House had one child who survived infancy, Miss Ada Parker. Jennie Parker House died when she was only 31 years old. Lewis House married Dollie Veader, following the death of his first wife. Lewis and Dollie were that parents of eight children: Guy W., Ethel, Byron, Annabelle, Rachel, Alta, Lois and Faye.

When he was 90 years old, Lewis House died at his home in Berlin Township of Erie County. His obituary was carried in the November 1, 1949 issue of the Sandusky Star Journal. Lewis W. House was buried with his second wife Dollie, in the Perkins Cemetery.

Below is an article from the March 31, 1941 issue of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The article reported that Lewis W. House, the second oldest resident of the area of Perkins Township which was taken over by the U.S. Government during the Second World War for a munitions factory, was upset by having to leave his home and soil that he and several of his neighbors and relatives loved so well.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Great Post about the Historic Cemeteries of the Richmond District in San Francisco

A terrific video about the historic cemeteries of the Richmond District of San Francisco is found at this link:

Halloween Special: Looking Back on the Richmond’s Cemeteries

West Family Monument at Oakland Cemetery

William T. West was born on June 15, 1815 near Pittsfield, Massachusetts. His brother Abel Kingsbury West was born in Massachusetts in 1817. The two brothers opened a general store in Sandusky. The brothers, who often went by their initials, W.T. and A.K. West, were also the proprietors of large hotel in Sandusky. The West House opened to the public in 1858. It was a popular hotel among travelers, who could travel to Sandusky via steamers on Lake Erie.

William T. West was married to Lydia Mahala Todd West, and Abel K. West was married to Caroline E. Wood West. On April 16, 1880, A.K. West passed away in Sandusky at the age of 60. W. T. West died on June 13, 1899. Both brothers are honored by a beautiful obelisk in the North Ridge section of Oakland Cemetery. The wives of W.T. and A. K. West are also buried in the family plot, as well as several extended family members. The West family made significant contributions to Sandusky in its early days. You can read more about W.T. and A. K. West in HISTORY OF THE WESTERN RESERVE, by Harriet Taylor Upton, as well as AT HOME IN EARLY SANDUSKY, by Helen Hansen.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Catherina Schneider

Lying flat on the ground in Oakland Cemetery is a tombstone for Catherina Schneider. Catherina was the wife of Andreas Schneider.

In SANDUSKY THEN AND NOW, we read in the Family Register of German Settlers in Sandusky, 1840-1852, that Andreas Schneider was born in 1809 and died on October 12, 1861. Catherina Schneider was born in 1815 and died on October 25, 1863.

The 1855 Sandusky City Directory lists three persons who could possibly be the Andreas Schneider who was married to Catherina. Andrew Schneider (Andrew is the English version of the German name Andreas) was a laborer living on Clinton Street. There are also two listings for A. Schneider, both stone cutters, one living on Market Street in Sandusky, and one living on Wayne Street.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Steen and Doris Parker: They Liked to Sing and Play

Steen and Doris Wheeler Parker, both subjects of previous posts at this blog, enjoyed musical entertainment. Steen Parker took piano lessons as a young man. The May 26, 1923 issue of the Sandusky Register reported that at the piano recital of the students of Eva Post Williams, Steen Parker played Chopin's "Prelude in C Major," while his cousin Harry Martin played "Consolation" by Mendelsohn. The recital was held at the studio of Eva Post Williams at 214 East Washington Street in Sandusky, Ohio.

An often told family story is that after Steen returned from military service, one day he and his brother in law, Paul Baumeister, were moving a piano. The piano was in a trailer behind a truck. While the Paul was driving down the road, Steen was in the trailer, playing the piano and singing, all quite loudly. He would wave at onlookers as they went down the road. (Steen Parker was known to enjoy a drink now and then, and this was probably one of those occasions.) Steen's daughter was also along on the trip, and she recalls feeling very embarrassed. Everyone who heard and saw the traveling piano solo had a good laugh!

Doris Parker and her sister in law, Florence Lindsley Parker performed a vocal duet for the Open House of the Perkins Grange in April of 1931. I wish I could have been there to hear my ancestors sing! The "stunts" by the ladies of the Perkins Grange must have also been a delighful sight.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Very Interesting Podcast Featured at the Graveyard Rabbit

Visit this post at The Association of Graveyard Rabbits, to view an amazing informational podcast on "Funerary Objects." Curator Matt Anderson from the Minnesota Historical Society presents an overview of funeral objects and customs. Turn on your speakers to hear the presentation.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Milner Monument

The Milner monument in the North Ridge section of Oakland Cemetery honors the memory of Henry and Thomas Milner and their wives. Thomas and Henry Milner were born in England in the 1820's to Thomas and Ann (Bowser) Milner. The Milner family emigrated to the United States, and settled in Erie County, Ohio. By 1880 both Thomas and Henry Milner and their families were living on farms in Perkins Township, close to the Columbus Pike. The first Mrs. Thomas Milner, nee Francis Bennett, died of consumption in 1879. Thomas Milner married Clarinda Downs in 1883.

Henry Milner died on October 22, 1889. His funeral cortege to the grave numbered over one hundred vehicles. The October 25, 1889 "Sandusky Register" reprinted the tribute to Mr.Milner from the Erie County Board of Agriculture. The resolution read in part: "Mr. Milner was one of the few men who not only gave of his time and his means freely but repeatedly lent his personal credit for the maintenance and advancement of the society during its most critical period...we have lost not only a true-hearted friend but an adviser to whom we have looked for guidance in our deliberations..." Henry Milner was married to Huldah Westfall Milner, and they raised an adopted daughter, Sarah Milner Steen. Both Henry and Huldah Milner were pioneer members of the Perkins Grange. Mrs. Milner died on May 12, 1901. She had been known fondly as "Aunt Huldah" by her large circle of family and friends in Perkins Township.

Below is an image of the home and farm of Henry Milner, as it appeared in the 1874 Erie County Atlas, published by Stewart & Page. Click on the image for a larger view.

Sadly, Thomas Milner took his own life on October 20, 1899, following several months of failing health. The October 23, 1899 "Sandusky Register" reported that Thomas Milner was "one who had proved himself a faithful friend, a loving, judicious husband and father, a wise counsellor and a just man." After Thomas Milner's death, Clarinda Milner moved to Columbus, Ohio. She was buried in Oakland Cemetery in Erie County after her death in January 1921.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sand Hill Cemetery

Sand Hill Cemetery
is located in Margaretta Township of Erie County. The cemetery is found at the intersection of Skadden and Mason Roads, west of Route 4.

Donald M. Love, who was secretary of Oberlin College from 1938 through 1962, is buried at Sand Hill Cemetery.

Frank J. Prout, who was the president of Bowling Green State University from 1939 to 1951, is buried here with his first wife, Alice Flegal Prout. Prout's Station was named for ancestors of Dr. Prout.

Leon Dewitt Liles, who was Chief Aerographer for the United States Navy, lost his life was in service aboard the U.S.S. Akron, on April 4, 1933. The inscription on his tombstone reads: "In Memory of My Husband" Olive M. Liles.

Over one hundred listings from Sand Hill Cemetery appear on the FindaGrave website.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Favorite Genealogical Society: OGS

While I belong to the Erie County and Huron County Chapters of the Ohio Genealogical Society, there are some definite benefits to belonging to the Ohio Genealogical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society is the largest state genealogical society in the United States.Its mission is: to meet the educational needs of its members and the general public through the acquisition, preservation, and dissemination of genealogical and historical information.

There are a variety of databases available from the Ohio Genealogical Society, some accesible only to members. First Families of Ohio is a lineage society open to OGS members who prove their decent from an ancestor who lived in Ohio by the end of 1820. Over 17,000 names appear in this database.

The searchable Ohio Civil War Roster allows "fuzzy" and "soundex" searches, which is a very versatile tool if you are unsure of the exact spelling of a first or last name.

African Americans Migrating to Ohio lists the names of African Americans who moved to Ohio in the 1860's. This very specific database can be very helpful if you have African American ancestors who moved to Ohio in this early decade.

There are many, many more databases at the website of the Ohio Genealogical Society! The library of the OGS is in Mansfield, Ohio, but a new facility is being built near Interstate 71, just south of Mansfield.

Whether you are a Graveyard Rabbit, genealogist, or you just want to know more about your Ohio ancestors, pay a visit to the Ohio Genealogical Society's site, and see what it has to offer.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Edward C. Veecher, Sandusky barber

Edward C. Veecher was born about 1853, the son of Richard and Martha Anna Veecher. Marriage records from Erie County, Ohio Probate Court list April 2, 1879 as the date that Edward C. Veecher married Frankie L. Beckly. Edward's occupation in the 1880 Erie County U.S. Census was given as barber. Having been married only a year and a half, Edward Veecher died on October 12, 1880. According to his obituary from the October 14, 1880 issue of the Sandusky Register, his funeral was held at his residence on Neil Street on October 14. Edward C. Veecher is buried in Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery. On his tombstone is a pair of clasped hands,which can symbolize the welcoming of a soul to Heaven.

We read in Hewson L. Peeke's A STANDARD HISTORY OF ERIE COUNTY,OHIO, that Edward's father, Richard Veecher, was born into slavery in Kentucky. Richard fled to Ohio, where he found employment. He saved up enough money to purchase his wife and children, and the whole family was together in Ohio by 1848. Edward Veecher was born a free person, in 1853. He had such a rich family heritage, and a devoted father. It is sad that his life ended at such a young age.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Calvary Cemetery: "In Memory of Our Babies"

Tbis lovely memorial at Sandusky's Calvary Cemetery is in memory of the babies "who died before, at, or soon after birth." The inscription at the base of the angel statue continues, "We hold these, our children, gently in our hearts and pray for all who mourn them." Two benches allow loved ones to have a place to pause, reflect, and quietly remember those who died so young.

It was a beautiful fall day at Calvary Cemetery in Sandusky this October day.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dr. Charles E. Stroud, Dentist

According to his obituary in the 1929 OBITUARY NOTEBOOK, in the genealogical collection of the Sandusky Library, Dr. Charles Edwin Stroud was born on March 11, 1859 in Palmyra, New York, to Dr. Charles Taylor Stroud and Lucy Fidelia Allen Stroud. The elder Dr. Stroud was also a dentist. Dr. Stroud came with his parents to Sandusky when he was a boy of six. Dr. Charles Edwin Stroud had practiced dentistry in Sandusky for almost fifty years, before retiring in May of 1929, to accept a position at the Ohio Soldiers and Sailors Home.

Dr. Stroud was one of the area's best known citizens. He was in command of Company B during the Spanish American War, and was acting major of the Second Battalion for five months. He served on the School Board, Erie County Board of Visitors, was a past master of Perseverance Lodge No. 328, and he served on the Board of the Erie County Children's Home and was chairman of the Erie County Chapter of the American Red Cross in 1917. The first Boy Scout troop in Sandusky was organized by Dr. Stroud. Dr. Stroud was considered an authority on Indian relics, and sang with the Sandusky Male Quartet for many years.

On October 7, 1929, Dr. Charles E. Stroud died at as home on Dewitt Avenue, Perkins Township, after a lengthy illness. He was survived by his wife, the former Jennie Davis, and two sons, Ira Stroud and Edgar Stroud. Funeral services for Dr. Stroud were held at Grace Episcopal Church on October 9. Members of the Boy Scouts served as guards of honor. Dr. Charles E. Stroud was buried in the family lot at Oakland Cemetery. The symbol of the cross and crown on his tombstone symbolizes the sovereignty of the Lord. The writer of Dr. Stroud's obituary stated that he was "a familiar figure on the streets of Sandusky. He was of a happy, optimistic disposition and he made and retained hundreds of friendships during his long, active, and useful life."

A photograph of Dr. Charles E. Stroud and a Sandusky Boy Scout troop can be seen at the Sandusky History web site. In 1911, area Boy Scouts helped to place wreaths on the graves of Veterans for a Memorial Day celebration, under the leadership of Dr. Stroud.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Vote For Your Favorite Genealogy Blog!

Family Tree Magazine is asking readers to vote on the blogs nominated by the genealogy community. Cast your votes here.Voting continues until November 5, 2009.

Just in case you enjoy reading about Sandusky genealogy and local history, the Graveyard Rabbit of Sandusky Bay is listed in Category 2, and the Sandusky History website, inspired by the collections of the Archives Research Center of the Sandusky Library and the Follett House Museum is listed in Category 7.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dr. James K. and Maora Hill Douglas

Dr. James K. Douglas (sometimes spelled Douglass) was a dentist in Sandusky for over fifty years. He was an 1894 graduate of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. Dr. Douglas died unexpectedly on October 4, 1954.

Mrs. Maora Hill Douglas was an early member of the Martha Pitkin Chapter of the D.A.R., and the Art Study Club. Maora's grandfather, Dr. B. L. Hill, was associated with the "water cure" facility in Berlin Heights in the 1850's. Maora Douglas died on December 15, 1958. Dr. and Mrs. Douglas are buried in the West End Cemetery in Berlin Heights, Ohio.

More information about the extended family of Maora Hill can be seen at this website. Maora's uncle was Charles F. Steen, longtime resident of Perkins Township, in Erie County.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Mathias Bock

Mathias Bock was born in Germany, and came to Sandusky in 1848. He died suddenly on October 3, 1884. His obituary in the October 4, 1884 Sandusky Register stated that he was "one of our oldest citizens." For many years, he had kept a barber shop on Water Street in Sandusky.

The funeral for Mathias Bock was held at his residence at 1307 Market Street. Several members of the Very Ancient Order of Druids, of which Mr. Bock was a charter member, attended the services, led by the Light Guard band. There were fifty five hacks and carriages in the funeral procession. Mathias Bock was buried at Oakland Cemetery, next to his first wife, Mrs. Philippine Bock, who passed away in 1867.