Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sentimental Sunday: Old Sign on a Decatur Street Building


This week, I was driving down Decatur Street in Sandusky on a cold, but sunny day. This old sign on the side of a building at the corner of Decatur Street and Central Avenue, opposite St. Mary's Catholic Church, really caught my eye! The top of the sign is an old advertisement for the Meek & Szendery Drugstore. The drugstore, operated by Jay Meek and Louis E. Szendery from 1916 until 1921, was located at the corner of Decatur Street and Central Avenue. An article from the June 30, 1921 issue of the Sandusky Star Journal reported that Jay Meek was going to be the sole proprietor of the drugstore he formerly ran with business partner Louis E. Szendery.

The bottom of the sign features the name of Martin's. In the early part of the 1900s, Fred A. Martin ran a confectionery and tea room. Mr. Martin was married to the identical twin sister of my great grandmother Ada Steen Parker.  Many of my ancestors either worked for Mr. Martin or patronized his business quite often. Martin's was a delightful place to visit, and it was often Martin's who did the catering for the big dinners following a funeral. It was delightful to see this old sign from so many years ago in Sandusky, Ohio.!

Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Dorene, I hope you're not tired of awards because I'm giving you another one. It's the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award. You can read more at http://nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-favorite-award-to-give.html. (I finished the post late last night and didn't have the energy to contact everyone.) Thanks for being such a great supporter of my blog and for leaving frequent comments. I appreciate it!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Thanks so much Nancy!!

Kevin Hammer said...

Hello - thought I'd share a little Sandusky story I happened upon:

http://catholictoledo.blogspot.com/2013/01/moving-limestone-from-sandusky-to.html