Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tombstones of the Four Mills Children

Isaac Mills was born in Sandusky in 1830. His grandfather, Isaac L. Mills, was one of the co-founders of Sandusky. His father, Isaac A. Mills, died of cholera in 1852. According to records at Family Search, Isaac Mills married Annette Tilden in November of 1855. Annette Tilden was the daughter of one of Sandusky's earliest physicians, Dr. Daniel Tilden. Between 1856 and 1863, Isaac and Annette Tilden Mills had four children, all who died young.

Daniel Tilden Mills, who was named after his maternal grandfather, was born in 1856, and died in 1859. Isaac Augustus Mills, named after his paternal grandfather, was born and died in 1859. A tombstone honoring these two young sons of Isaac and Annette Mills is located at Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery.

A scripture verse from Isaiah 40:11 is inscribed on a circular shaped adornment on the tombstone for Daniel and Isaac. Their names were inscribed on the vertical portion of the tombstone, though weathering has made their names illegible. The verse reads: He shall gather the lambs with his arms and carry them in his bosom.

Two more children were born to Isaac and Annette Tilden Mills. Allan Phelps Mills was born in 1861, and he died in November of 1869. Annette Tilden Mills was born in 1863, and she passed away in October of 1869. It must have been so difficult for Mr. and Mrs. Mills to face the loss of two children in such a short time span. The monument at Oakland Cemetery which honors the memory of Allan and Annette Mills is in the shape of a cross.

A Bible passage from Second Samuel, verse 23, I shall go to them, but they shall not return to me, is inscribed on the tombstone which honors the memory of Allan and Annette Tilden Mills, children of Isaac and Annette Tilden Mills.

Having scripture references on the tombstones of their children, indicates that Mr. and Mrs. Mills may have had a deep faith which helped them sustain such losses. The Mills children came from two pioneer families of Sandusky, and they would have had a bright future, had their lives not been cut so short.

An obituary for Annette Tilden Mills, who was called Annie, appeared in the November 2, 1869 issue of the Sandusky Register. (Click on the article for an enlarged view.)

To read more about the early families of Sandusky, as well as the homes in which they lived, see AT HOME IN EARLY SANDUSKY, by Helen Hansen. This title is available for borrowing, or for purchasing, at the Sandusky Library.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rev. Eleutheros Jay Cooke

Rev. E. Jay Cooke died suddenly at Schenectady, New York on October 27, 1908. Rev. Cooke was an Episcopalian minister. He had served churches in St. Paul, Minnesota; Cleveland, Ohio; Manchester, New Hampshire; and Schuylerville, New York.

Eleutheros Jay Cooke was born in Sandusky, Ohio on May 24, 1847. His father was Pitt Cooke, a brother of Civil War financier, Jay Cooke. (Eleutheros Jay Cooke's first name was also the first name of his paternal grandfather, an early lawyer in Sandusky, Ohio.) Rev. Cooke's mother was Mary Elizabeth Townsend Cooke. Mrs. Pitt Coooke was an amazing woman. Besides raising a large family of her own, she also took in her orphaned siblings, after their parents died during the cholera epidemic. (A lovely portrait of Mrs. Pitt Cooke can be seen at The Follett House Museum in Sandusky, Ohio.)

Shortly after Rev. Cooke shook hands with presidential candidate William Howard Taft, Rev. Cooke suddenly died, as a result of heart failure. The funeral for Rev. E. Jay Cooke was held at Grace Episcopal Church on October 31, 1908. He was buried at Oakland Cemetery. Close friends of Rev. E. Jay Cooke served as pallbearers: C.W. Sadler, George R. Butler, Frank Sloane, Charles L. Mills, Ed Zurhorst, Edward H. Marsh, Dr. A. J. Gawne, and George Barker. The letters IHS which appear on Rev. Cooke's cross-shaped tombstone represent the first three letters of the name of Jesus in the Greek language. The inscription at the base of Rev. Cooke's tombstone is: A Faithful Priest in the Service of God.

A plaque on the east wall of the sanctuary of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Schuylerville, New York reads:

“To the Glory of God and In Loving Memory of
Eleutheros Jay Cooke
May 24, 1847–October 27, 1908
Our Beloved Rector and Friend
From December 1896 until the day of his death

Well done thou good and faithful servant
Enter thou into the joy of the Lord
Matt. 25:21”

Thursday, October 28, 2010

One of Mom's Last Wishes Fulfilled

The last few weeks of Mom's life, she indicated that besides her death date being engraved on the front of her and Dad's tombstone, she also wanted their six childrens' names engraved on the back on the stone, along with the year of their birth. Mom had seen this on another monument, and thought it would be nice for future generations to know about her nuclear family. Today was the first time I had a chance to see the newly engraved tombstone. It is beautiful, and it is exactly as Mom would have wanted it. Balconi Monuments did the engraving, which now is done with a computerized sandblasting procedure. It is so rewarding to see one of Mom's final wishes be finalized.

Here is a closeup of the names:

A loved one has placed a lovely cross at the front of the tombstone of Paul & Joyce Orshoski at Perkins Cemetery in Erie County, Ohio.

It features a well loved scripture verse. Though we had many ups and downs, growing up in a big family in the 50's and 60's, we always had plenty of love.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Image of the Chart of the Entrance to Sandusky Bay from the 1830's at Sandusky History Blog

At the Sandusky History blog, a post from October 25, 2010 features a letter from Zalmon Wildman to Dr. George Anderson, along with an image of the Chart of the Entrance to Sandusky Bay. The chart was produced in 1838 by the U.S. Topographical Engineers, and was based on an original survey of Sandusky Bay by Lt. C. Graham in 1826.

Head over to Sandusky History to read the entire blog entry! In the above image, you can see how the city of Sandusky was laid out in the shape of the Masonic emblem.

Many early residents of the Firelands found the Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie to be a vital resource. The waters of the lake provided food, cool breezes, and saw many ships come into port with food, goods, and materials for building.

Tombstone Tuesday: Oakland Cemetery

Our Father
Samuel Walker
In Litchfield New York
Nov. 20, 1793
Oct. 25, 1865

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord

Sunday, October 24, 2010

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

This weekend I had the privilege of visiting the National Underground Freedom Center in Cincinnati, Ohio. The mission of the Center as stated on their web page is:
We reveal stories about freedom's heroes, from the era of the Underground Railroad to contemporary times, challenging and inspiring everyone to take courageous steps for freedom today.

When you are on the upper floors of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, you can see the Ohio River and the Roebling Suspension Bridge over the river. During the 1800's the Ohio River was the boundary between the free state of Ohio and the slave holding state of Kentucky.

Many fugitive slaves made their way across the Ohio River before then heading North to find their freedom in Canada. Many freedom seekers passed through Sandusky and then across Lake Erie via the Underground Railroad.

The Family Search Center is located on the fourth floor of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, where volunteers help people learn about their family history in the John Parker Library. The Center is free with admission to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, and the hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Tuesday through Saturday. You can find helpful genealogy tips by visiting the Center's web site. Available there are:

and a

A chart displaying Alex Haley's Family Tree can be seen at the Family Search Center.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mrs. Sarah L. Boalt

Mrs. Sarah L. Boalt, wife of John M. Boalt, died at Sandusky on October 23, 1844. She was age 20 years and 9 months.

Pages 101 and 102 of THE FOLLETT-DEWEY FASSETT-SAFFORD ANCESTRY, available full text at Heritage Quest, tells us that Sarah Louisa Follett was born to Oran Follett and his first wife, the former Nancy Filer, at Batavia, New York on January 24, 1824. She married John M. Boalt on December 29, 1842. They had one child, who died in infancy.

The home of Sarah's father, Oran Follett, is now a museum, The Follett House Museum, which is available for free tours. A virtual tour of the The Follett House Museum is available online. Click on Follett House Museum Video Tour to access the online tour of The Follett House Museum.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dr. J. D. Parker, Sandusky Physician for Over Fifty Years

According to HISTORY OF HOMEOPATHY AND ITS INSTITUTIONS IN AMERICA, James Daniel Parker was born in Sandusky on September 2, 1876 to James Daniel and Sarah Gurley Parker. Mrs. Sarah Gurley Parker was the granddaughter of the pioneer Methodist preacher Rev. William Gurley.

James Daniel Parker graduated from the Cleveland Homeopathic College in 1900. Usually known as "J.D.," Dr. J. D. Parker practiced medicine in Sandusky from 1950 until 1955. He was also the father of two physicians, Dr. Watson D. Parker and Dr. Lester Parker. In Dr. Watson Parker's obituary, which appeared in the January 24, 2004 issue of the Toledo Blade, a Parker descendant stated that Dr. Watson Parker told stories of accompanying his father, Dr. J.D. Parker, on home visits to sick patients in Erie County, traveleing by horse and buggy.

In 1900, James Daniel Parker married Florence Glenn Day. An article in the August 29, 1900 issue of the Sandusky Morning Star reported that "one of the prettiest home weddings of the season" had taken place that day. The couple was wed at the home of the bride's mother. Miss Harriet Day, the bride's sister, was her bridesmaid, and the best man was Leroy Parker, a cousin to James Daniel Parker.

The couple had two daughters and three sons. During the summer months, the Parker family spent time at their cottage on Lake Erie in Mitiwanga.

On October 21, 1965, Dr. J. D. Parker passed away. Dr. Parker had been a member of the Erie County Medical Society, the Ohio and American Medical Associations, and Trinity Methodist Church. Private burial services were held at Oakland Cemetery, where Dr. Parker was buried next to his wife, who had died in 1946. An obituary for Dr. J. D. Parker was carried in the October 22, 1965 issue of the Sandusky Register.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sentimental Sunday: Bay View Baseball Photo from 1963

The photo above was taken about 1963 at the baseball field in Bay View, at Henry Keimer Park. Paul Orshoski was the manager of this ball team, most like "atom league," and Frank Orshoski was coach. In the picture below, the names of the players have been labeled. Both Orshoski families spent many an hour at the ball field during the summertime in Bay View, Ohio!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Advertisement from the Herb and Myers Co.

This newspaper advertisement from the Herb and Myers Co. appeared in the June 24, 1928 issue of the Sandusky Register. From 1900 to 1929, Michael R. Herb and Frank H. Myers were partners in the Herb and Myers Store on East Market Street in downtown Sandusky, Ohio. Prior to the 1900, the C.L. Engels Store was in operation at the location of the Herb and Myers Store.

By 1931, Frank H. Myers was associated with the the Sandusky Folding Box Company,which he founded along with James Plain; and the store formerly known as the Herb and Myers Store was now known as the M. R. Herb Co., with Michael R. Herb serving as the company president. In 1939, the M.R. Herb Co. was destroyed in a large fire, and Mr. Herb retired.

On November 6, 1962, Michael R. Herb died at the age of 92. He had been active in the Sandusky Chamber of Commerce, Elks Club, St. Mary's Church, and the Knights of Columbus. Mr. Herb is buried in Calvary Cemetery in Sandusky.

Frank H. Myers passed away on February 22, 1965. Mr. Myers was a member of Grace Episcopal church, the Rotary club, and Science Lodge 50. He is buried in Section L of Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Rev. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn

Rev. Theodore Julius Christian Stellhorn was born in Watertown, Wisconsin. He was the son (and later would be the father of) a Lutheran minister. The Stellhorn family moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana, where the father of the family was a professor at Concordia College. Next, the Stellhorns moved to Columbus, Ohio, where Rev. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn attended Capital University. He graduated in 1889, and three years later he became a graduate of the Divinity School at Capital.

In June of 1892 Rev. Stellhorn became the pastor of a newly organized church in Fort Wayne. He came to Sandusky in November, 1897, to become an assistant to his brother in law, Dr. August Dornbirer. In 1907, Rev. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn was called to become the pastor of Zion Lutheran Church in Sandusky.

Rev. Stellhorn helped to organize Lutheran churches in Castalia, Huron, and Venice, Ohio. From 1928 ti 1948, Dr. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn and Rev. Theodore Stellhorn, Jr. worked together at Zion Lutheran Church, the being the assistant pastor, and the elder Rev. Stellhorn serving as the head pastor. In 1948, Dr. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn was advised by his doctors not to preach at public worship services any longer, so the senior paster visited the sick and shut-ins of the community, and continued to serve on several church committees.

On February 18, 1955, Rev. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn died at at the age of 83. He was buried at Oakland Cemetery with his wife Katherine. Officiating at the funeral of Dr. Stellhorn was: Rev. Maurice White, of Lima; Rev. David Wolber, assistant pastor at Zion; Rev. J.A. Griffith, of St. Paul's Lutheran Church; and Rev. John Braun, pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church in Port Clinton, and formerly of Trinity Lutheran at Venice.

An obituary for Rev. Stellhorn appeared on the front page of the February 18, 1955 issue of the Sandusky Register Star News. The article reported that Dr. Stellhorn was one of the most able leaders of Lutherans on the Sandusky area. Rev. Stellhorn was survived by his son, Rev. Theodore Stellhorn, Jr., two daughters, and several grandchildren and great grandchildren. One son, Luther, had died in 1954, and his wife, the former Katherine Dornbirer died in 1951.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Twilight on Sandusky Marsh, by John Hay

First appearing in Harper's Magazine on page 475 of Volume 93, in 1896, this poem also appeared in the 1916 book THE COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS OF JOHN HAY, on page 234, and is available at Google Books. THE COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS OF JOHN HAY was published by the Houghton Mifflin Company, and featured an introduction by John Hay's son, Clarence Leonard Hay.

The state of Ohio has always had wetlands, which include swamps, marshes, and bogs. Several marshes are located close to the shore of Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie in northern Ohio. Marshes are a natural habitat for a several plants and animals. I can recall my uncle, Wayne Orshoski, trapping muskrats in the marshes not far from his home.

We do not know exactly which marsh John Milton Hay wrote about in his poem, but throughout history, residents of Erie and Sandusky Counties have all heard the birds and other wildlife, felt the refreshing breezes, and have seen the lovely twilight sky that can be viewed as the sun goes down in the evening hours near the marsh lands close to Sandusky Bay.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig Neuert

From an Emigration Index put out by the Pirmasens Genealogical Study Group, we learn that Ludwig Neuert (born 1809) and his wife, the former Elizabetha/Elizabeth Hohl, and their sons Johann Michael Neuert (born in 1834, later known as John) and Johann Jakob Neuert (born in 1837, later known as Jacob) all were from Leimen, Germany, and emigrated to the United States to settle in Sandusky, Ohio in the year 1846.

Ludwig Neuert became known as Louis Neuert. He and his wife made their home in Sandusky with their son Jacob. Ludwig/Louis Neuert worked in a grocery store. In time, Jacob Neuert would become the superintendent of the Barney and Kilby Machine Works, and would be issued several patents for his patterns and inventions. Jacob moved his family to Chicago in the late 1890's. John Neuert worked as a boilermaker. He and his wife had several children listed in the 1880 U.S. Census.

Ludwig Neuert died at age 75 on October 12, 1883. He is buried in Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery. His wife Elizabeth Neuert had preceded him in death in 1873.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Frank Orshoski, Jr.

Frank Orshoski, Jr. was the son of Frank and Dallas Orshoski, born on January 11, 1929. Frank served in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict. He married Alice Zeck, and they had a family of seven children. Frank enjoyed his family very much. He was active in umpiring little league baseball. For many years, Frank worked at Sandusky Dressed Beef.

One of the biggest tragedies of Frank's life was losing his oldest son, Craig, in a snowmobile accident. Only in his early 20's, Craig died close to his Bay View home on December 31, 1980. Frank was ill for many years, and he passed away on October 10, 1982.Though he left this earth to soon, a host of Orshoski grandchildren are carrying on the zest for life that Frank Orshoski, Jr. always had. Below is a brief article from the December 22, 1944 issue of the Margaretta News, which told about Frank and Rollie Orshoski's excellent attendance record.

Frank Orshoski,Jr. is buried at the Castalia Cemetery.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Mr. and Mrs. Lyman E. Strong

A biographical sketch of Henry Clay Strong in HISTORY OF THE WESTERN RESERVE provides information about Henry's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lyman E. Strong. Lyman Elderkin Strong was born to Major Joseph and Lucy Elderkin Strong on June 13, 1802. Major Strong was one of the earliest settlers in Lyme Township of Huron County. Lyman E. Strong was a merchant and also had a farm, first in Lyme Township and later in Plymouth, Ohio in Richland County. Lyman D. Strong married Calista Lucinda Nims in 1831.

Lyman Elderkin Strong died on October 8, 1889, and Calista Nims Strong died on April 14, 1891. A tribute to Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Strong is found in the book HISTORY OF THE WESTERN RESERVE:

"They lived lives of usefulness and honor and their names merit an enduring place on the roll of those who contributed their quota to the social and material development and progress of the historic old Western Reserve."

The business papers of Lyman Elderkin Strong are held by the Library of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center. Lyman E. and Calista Strong are buried in the Strong's Ridge Cemetery in Huron County, Ohio along with their son Ozias Strong, who died in 1864. A cousin of Lyman Elderkin Strong, also named Lyman Strong, was a marble dealer in Cleveland, Ohio.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Clark Center, Pioneer Citizen of Sandusky

Clark Center was one of Sandusky's leading citizens. A biography of Clark Center from Harriet Taylor Upton's HISTORY OF THE WESTERN RESERVE states that he was "among the honored pioneers of Sandusky." He was born in Wayne County, New York in 1833, the youngest child and Mr. and Mrs. James H. Center. Clark's mother died when he was just three years old. In 1836 James Center moved his family to Huron County, Ohio, where he settled on a farm located on the Huron River.

After moving to Ohio, Clark worked for various farmers, and eventually learned the machinists' trade. He began working as a machinist in Sandusky in 1854. When the Civil War broke out, Clark Center had a vital role in raising Company I of the Third Ohio Cavalry. He recruited men from Erie, Huron, and Ottawa Counties. He had to stop his wartime service temporarily, when he was afflicted with typhoid fever. At the end of the Civil War, Clark Center resumed his work as a machinist in Sandusky. In 1872, he was appointed a revenue collector for the U.S. Government. Clark Center had also served as Sandusky councilman for twelve years. During his time on council, Mr. Center secured an investigation of the financial affairs of the city, which concluded in the arrest of a city clerk on embezzlement charges.

Mr. Center's obituary, which appeared in the October 10, 1914 Sandusky Register, reported that Clark Center was a "unique character." He often was seen on the streets of Sandusky wearing tall silk hat and a boutonniere. Clark Center died on October 9, 1914. He was survived by his wife, the former Caroline Bauer, and a son, E. B. Center. Clark Center is buried in Oakland Cemetery.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mrs. Susan Follett, wife of Foster M. Follett

Susan Follett was the wife of Foster Morse Follett, a Civil War Veteran, and former Mayor of the city of Sandusky. Foster M. and Susan Follett were the parents of Helen, Sarah, and Foster Valentine Follett. Mrs. Susan Follett became a widow in October of 1862, when Foster M. Follett died. She survived until October 5, 1884. The final burial place of both Foster M. Follett and Susan Follett is the family lot at Oakland Cemetery in Sandusky, Ohio.  Foster and Susan's daughter Sarah Platt became the second wife of William Augustus Platt, whose first wife had been Fanny Hayes, the only sister of former President Rutherford B. Hayes.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Joyce's Confirmation at St. Paul Lutheran Church in 1945

According to the Lutheran Book of Worship, Confirmation in the Lutheran Church is a public profession of faith prepared for by long and careful instruction. In English, it is called "affirmation of baptism", and is a mature and public profession of the faith which "marks the completion of the congregation's program of confirmation ministry." (You can read more about Confirmation within the Lutheran Church at Wikipedia.)

Along with several other teenagers, my mother, whose name was Joyce Parker at that time, was confirmed at St. Paul Lutheran Church, located at Central Avenue & Tyler Street in Sandusky, Ohio, on March 25, 1945.

Though my mother had been baptized at the Methodist Church, her great grandfather's second wife, Emma Larkins, introduced her to the Lutheran faith. Rev. J.A. Griffith was the minister who officated at the confirmation service. Rev. Griffith had also confirmed Joyce's mother, Doris Wheeler, at the very same location in 1923. Doris died before Joyce was confirmed, but both mother and daughter respected and loved their Lutheran pastor very much. (You can read my mom's middle name, Emada, on her confirmation certificate. Doris made up this unusual middle name, a combination of Emma and Ada, the first names of Joyce's maternal step great grandmother, and her paternal grandmother.)

On July 1, 1950, Rev. Griffith performed the wedding ceremony of Paul Orshoski and Joyce Parker, and later he would baptize several of the children of Joyce and Paul.

After a long battle with cancer, and my mother knew her days here were soon to be over, she called on the present pastor of Sandusky's St. Paul Lutheran Church to be the minister at her funeral service, along with the pastor of the church where she had been been attending for several years. Joyce took her confirmation seriously, and she never forgot the tenets of faith that she learned from Rev. J.A. Griffith that were based on the Lutheran catechism. She passed on many of the Christian values and scripture verses that she learned to her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ohio Genealogical Society's 2010 Fall Seminar

On October 2, 2010, I had the pleasure of attending the OGS's 2010 Fall Seminar, held at the Samuel D. Isaly Library of the Ohio Genealogical Society in Bellville, Ohio. The library just opened in July of 2010. Curt Witcher, Genealogy Center Manager and Senior Manager of Special Collections at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana, was the speaker for four separate presentations.

In "The Road Not Taken," Mr. Witcher suggested searching online by geographic location, ethnicity, occupation, and religion, as well as by the surname of a particular family. He pointed out several bibliographic databases to consult: The National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC for short); The Archival Research Catalog of the National Archives; The Access to Archival Databases at the National Archives; The Catalog of U.S. Government Publications; and Worldcat. While these sources may not lead to direct genealogical information for researchers, the search results retrieved may lead us to other sources that do have important genealogical data.

In the session on "Doing Effective Research in Libraries," Curt Witcher suggested always visiting a library virtually, before actually making a trip to the library. State Libraries, State Archives, and Special Focus Libraries often have specialized collections that can aid in research within a specific state or area.

In the session entitled "Fingerprinting Our Families," Mr. Witcher stressed how understanding what was happening in both the home country as well as the new new homeland of our immigrant ancestors, can help us gain deeper insight into the reasons that our ancestors left one country to migrate to another.

The last session of the Fall Seminar was "Using Periodical Literature and PERSI in Genealogical Research." Curt Witcher stated that we could be missing significant sources of genealogical information if we don't look in periodical sources. He told us about using the * as a wild card, and ? for an unknown letter within a word, when conducting PERSI searches at Heritage Quest Online. The day in Bellville was well spent, and I look forward to returning to the Samuel D. Isaly Library to do more research!

Note: The Dutch Heritage Restaurant, located very near the Samuel D. Isaly Library of the O.G.S. is a very delightful place to have a meal, following a busy day of genealogical research.

Sentimental Sunday: Articles about the Yeagers' Anniversary Celebrations

In this article from the October 4, 1928 issue of the Sandusky Register, the headline states that Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Yeager were celebrating fifty years of marriage. However, they were actually celebrating their twenty fifth wedding anniversary in 1928. (They were married in September of 1903.)

Over one hundred guests celebrated with Andrew and Lena (Piehl) Yeager at their home in Huron, Ohio. Guests came from Kelleys Island, Cleveland, Oak Harbor, Bay Bridge, and Fremont. The decorations were silver and white, and there were two cakes in honor of the happy couple. Sadly, in 1929, Mr. and Mrs. Yeager's daughter Norma Ernst would become a widow, and in 1930, Andy and Lena's youngest daughter Hilda would die from influenza, at the age of four.

Twenty five years later, the Sandusky Register Star News of September 24, 1953 featured an article about Andrew and Lena's Golden Anniversary.

At the celebration in 1953, their son Andrew had died, and their daughter Norma had remarried. Of course many, many more descendants had been added to the Yeager Family Tree. Wilma Voight, who had been a young girl at the Silver Anniversary, was all grown up, and she helped prepare special dishes for the Golden Anniversary celebration.

Andy and Lena both worked very hard, and shared a lot of joys and sorrows together. I was delighted to track down these newspaper articles about their anniversary parties. Andrew Yeager died in 1958, and Lena Piehl Yeager died in 1978. They are buried in the Union Corners Cemetery just off Route 250 between Sandusky and Milan, Ohio.