Thursday, May 5, 2016

John F. McCrystal

John Francis McCrystal was born to Patrick and Bridget McCrystal at Kelleys Island on June 22, 1863. He moved with his family to Sandusky when he was just one year of age. He was elected to the City Council in 1884. At the age of 21, he was the youngest person who ever served the city council of Sandusky up to that time. In 1886, John F. McCrystal was appointed Deputy Clerk of Courts for Erie County. He studied law, and was admitted to the Bar in 1889. In 1891, he was elected City Solicitor.

After retiring from the position of City Solicitor Mr. McCrystal continued in the practice of law. He enjoyed a large practice ans was well known throughout the norther Ohio region. John F. McCrystal died on July 13, 1939 after a brief illness. He is buried in St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery in Sandusky, Ohio. Mr. McCrystal was survived by his widow, three brothers, and three sons. A lengthy obituary for John F. McCrystal is found in the 1939 OBITUARY NOTEBOOK at the Sandusky Library. A tribute read in part: "Hard work brought success to Mr. McCrystal and his is a fine example of what work and effort will do."

The tombstone which honors the memory of John Francis McCrystal is an ornate cross. Click on the image for an enlarged view.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

John C. Linker Died Tragically in a Railroad Accident

















John C. Linker was born in Germany, and came to the United States as a young child. After working on the building of the Panama Railroad in the 1850s, he came back to Sandusky, Ohio, and worked for several years as a policeman. Eventually he became a prosperous farmer in Perkins Township. Sadly, he outlived two wives and several of his children. Mr. Linker died in an accident involving the railroad. The following obituary appeared in the May 4, 1888 issue of the Sandusky Register:

A Sad and Terrible Death

Last Friday morning  Mr. John Linker, a prominent citizen of East Perkins, started to walk to Sandusky city. The Morning being warm and sultry it seems that he went cross-lots to the Lake Shore junction to catch a ride, and boarded a train of cars that were being shifted, and upon a sudden start off the train threw Mr. Linker to the ground and almost instantly killed him. The remains of the unfortunate man were taken to Krupp & Son's undertaking establishment, where Coroner Szendery held an inquest, after which they were brought her to his place of residence. The obsequies took place from the house on Sunday, April 29th, at 2 o'clock p.m., and the remains were taken to Oakland Cemetery and interred on the family lot. Mr. John Linker was born Jan. 1, 1830, in Hessen, Germany, and emigrated to the United States with his parents and brother and two sisters in his infancy. The family settled in Richland, now Crawford, County, Ohio, from whence Johnny walked to Sandusky when about 10 years old, where he was employed as a laborer and later engaged in business. In 1851 he was one of the ten young men who left Sandusky to engage in the enterprise of building a railroad across the Isthmus of Panama, and returned the following year in impaired health. After he recovered his health, he was appointed on the police force of Sandusky City, which position he held about six years. In 1853 he married Mary Gimkie, with whom he had one child, and within two years both the child and mother died. In 1857 he was married to a  Mrs. Culvan, a young widow from East Perkins, where they afterwards removed on a farm. The fruits of the latter marriage were eleven children, six of whom are living, six boys and one girl. The mother was laid to rest ten years ago.

Mrs. Linker was a brother to John Linker, of Elmore, Sandusky County, and Mrs. Hurdle (sic), the widow of the founder of the Sandusky Demokrat, and Mrs. Smith, both residing in your city. Mr. Linker was a man of great intelligence and fair knowledge for one who had so poor advantages in youth, of stern integrity, and was of a noble, kind and charitable disposition. He bore up grandly under his many sore afflictions, and was ever ready to cheer up the depressed and always had a kind word and cheerful countenance for everyone. His friends were many, which was manifest by the large cortege that followed him to his last resting place. The stricken family find many hearts to sympathize with them in their sore afflictions ,and by a communion of sorrow mitigate their grief.

John C. Linker was laid to rest at Oakland Cemetery in the family lot. Several of members of his family who predeceased him were buried at the St. Joseph Cemetery.




Farmer Boy

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Double Cousins on the Yeager and Orshoski Sides























My dear cousin Janet sent this picture of her (she is the younger young lady) with her brother David, and her older cousin Alberta Orshoski, sometime in the late 1930s or 1940s. Alberta's parents, Emma Yeager Orshoski and Steve Orshoski were the siblings of Janet and David Orshoski's parents, Nick Orshoski and Dorothy Yeager Orshoski, making the children double cousins! Thanks again for sharing the picture, Janet! You are a dear gal!!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Historic Key West Cemetery














Recently my co-worker Dennis, and his wife, had the opportunity to visit the Key West Cemetery in Florida. Knowing how much I enjoy historic cemeteries, Dennis took several pictures at the Key West Cemetery. (All pictures in this post are courtesy Dennis M.)  Several sculptures of angels are found at this beautiful cemetery.





Several of the tombstones are high above the ground in the Key West Cemetery, which is not seen  as often in cemeteries in the Midwest United States.

Thank you Dennis for taking these lovely pictures on your vacation! 

To learn more about the Key West Cemetery, see this document from the city of Key West. To see more pictures from the Key West Cemetery, see these images from the Florida Memory Project.



Wednesday, April 20, 2016

William G. West, 1850-1913
















William G. West was born in Sandusky, Ohio, in 1850, to William T. West and his wife the former Lydia Mahala Todd. For several years, William G. West helped his father manage the West House hotel, which had been built in Sandusky in the 1850s. By 1910, William G. West was listed in the U.S. Census in Prince George County, with his wife Cora. His occupation was farmer at that time. An article in the Norwalk Reflector of April 18, 1913, reported that William G. West had died at his country home in Virginia. His remains were returned to Sandusky, Ohio, for burial in the family lot at Oakland Cemetery. You can read much more about the West family in the Encyclopedia of Massachusetts available at the Internet Archive.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Herman Knupke

Herman Knupke was born in Germany in 1881. In the 1900 U.S. Census for Erie County, Ohio, Herman was residing in Sandusky with Gustave and Johana Knupke, ages 60 and 58, and 17 year old Lizzie. The family's surname was spelled Kemupka in the census listing. Herman stated in the census report that he arrived in the United States in 1883.

On May 30, 1905, Herman Knupke married Mary Hager in Erie County. An abstract of their marriage record is available at Family Search Labs in the Ohio Marriages Collection. Herman listed his parents names as Gust Knupke and Johanna Eichman, and Mary's parents were listed as Joseph Hager and Lena Brower. Herman's birthplace was Berlin, Prussia, and Mary's birthplace was Germany.

Herman Knupke, whose occupation was carpenter, passed away on June 12, 1923 at his Taylor Street residence in Sandusky. Oakland Cemetery interment cards list the cause of death for Herman Knupke as tuberculosis. Herman Knupke was survived by his widow, two sons, and five daughters. His tombstone, which lies flat against the ground, is located in Block F of Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery.