Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sentimental Sunday: Railway Station in Sandusky, Ohio




















Recently I stopped by the railroad station in Sandusky, Ohio, on North Depot Street. The building also is home to offices for the Sandusky Transit System.
















The station was built in 1892, for the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad. Though it was close to the end of the day, I was able to step inside the station and look around for a few moments. Here is what the waiting area looks like.




















A window once used for ticket sales can still be seen in the waiting area.




















A train went by when I was still inside the train station. This is the view through the station windows.
















Though not in use any more, a baggage building is located near the train station.














My great grandmother, my mom, and I all went to this station in the early 1950s, when Gram Irene treated us to a visit to California to see my Uncle Tom, Aunt Ev, and cousins Patti, Tommy, and Shelley.




















Though I honestly don't recall this trip, I heard many stories about it! Mom said that Gram Irene woke us up in the middle of the night, to see the Mississippi River, and Gram Irene read me book after book, as we traveled by rail across the United States! Below is a picture of me and my great grandmother, Irene Larkins Risko, around the same time as our big trip west.
















2 comments:

Nancy said...

That's a beautiful building, Dorene. There seem to be fewer and fewer railroad stations around. I think it's great that you memorialized this one just in case it should ever disappear. I'm sorry you don't remember that train ride. I rode a train once with my grandmother (from Niles to Cleveland) when I was about 5 and it was probably the most fun I'd had in my young life.

Dorene from Ohio said...

Thanks so much for stopping by!