Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Dorene is from...

Randy at Genea-Musings has given us this mission for tonight's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun:

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Write a poem about "Where I'm From" using the template found at the website http://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm

2) Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Google Plus or Facebook note.


I am not sure if I completed the task exactly as requested, but here is where I am from:
_________________________________________________________
I am from a place by the bay; from where Toft's ice cream is sold; and cinnamon toast is a favorite treat.
I am from a small house that has been added onto, and often a living room yielding squeals from lively grandkids.
From cottonwood trees, and lily pads in marshes.
I am from hard working Orshoskis and Parkers who loved the land.
From peals of laughter and and a passion for the past.
I am from wearing socks at all times and using Vicks for a cold.
I am from German Lutherans, and Irish Catholics, and shoutin' Methodists.
From a dad who was generous and kind, and a mom who taught us to “kill 'em with kindness.”
I am from scrapbooks, and photo albums, and baby books, and plenty of stories to accompany all.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Interesting how each different poem is so different even using the same templete. I enjoyed yours.

Caro said...

I enjoyed your poem, Dorene. Thank you for posting it. Interesting that we both wrote about laughter and a passion for the past! From such stuff are genealogists made.

Dorene from Ohio said...

Maybe laughter and thinking on the past go together :)

Thanks for stopping by Kristin and Caroline!

Renate Yarborough Sanders said...

Nice poem, Dorene! I agree with Kristin; these are all so differently wonderful!

Renate