Saturday, January 9, 2010

Searching for Julius House at Google Books

Julius House is an ancestor on my great grandfather's maternal line. He was an early settler in Erie County, Ohio, and he is buried in Perkins Cemetery. I accidentally stumbled upon more details about his life when I was researching someone else in Google Books.

In the book A WESTERN PIONEER, OR, INCIDENTS OF THE LIFE AND TIMES OF REV. ALFRED BRUNSON, available full text online, I came across this vivid description of my ancestor’s faith and devotion as a leading layman in the Perkins Methodist Church in the early years of the nineteenth century in the Firelands.



(Note: The last name House is misspelled Houre in this passage, but the name of Julius House is correctly spelled in the listing of topics for Chapter 10.)

In a report of Ohio Supreme Court Decisions, I read about a court case in which Julius House disagreed with John Beatty over a land contract. Names of the lawyers, the judge, neighbors of the House family, and details giving key dates and a description of improvements made on my ancestor’s land were all given in this case. A portion of the case summary appears below:


I encourage you to go to Google Books and search for your ancestors. You may be pleasantly surprised!

3 comments:

S. Lincecum said...

I have found good information searching Google books in the past, but have failed to make searching there a habit. Thanks for the reminder!

wendy said...

Thanks for posting this! As you are aware - we share House ancestors! Although the misspelling of Julius' name in the text (prob. a typo) - gives me a new path to see if I can find more info on my g-grandfather!

FranE said...

Awesome that you have a fellow researcher in the bloggers. I love the way google search can help in finding information you were not aware of. Interesting information you found.