Saturday, August 10, 2019

Discovering Just a Bit about Wheeler Nodine















You may recall that the lineage of my great great grandmother, Sarah Steen, was very complicated. Her biological parents were Wheeler Nodine and Eliza Jane Westfall Nodine. Sometime after her birth in 1850 in Michigan, Wheeler  and Eliza Jane Nodine gave baby Sarah to the sister of Eliza Jane, Huldah. Huldah was married to Henry Milner, and they had a lovely farm in Perkins Township. Sarah went on to marry Charles F. Steen, and they too were engaged in agricultural pursuits. Sarah is the lady on the left in the picture below.

















Today as I was looking over my DNA relatives on 23andMe, I discovered a cousin that most likely is connected to me through Wheeler and Eliza Jane Nodine. I realized that I did not know much about my biological three times great grandfather Wheeler Nodine. Looking back through my Flickr photos, I discovered the death date of Wheeler Nodine was listed as Feb. 10, 1872, in Michigan. (This family Bible is now in the collections of the R.B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museums.)

Then I found property that was owned by the Estate of W. Nodine in the Barry County Atlas of Michigan, housed at Michigan County Histories. It looks like at one time Wheeler Nodine owned property in Carlton, a community in Barry County, Michigan.



















To date, I have not yet found a death record from a courthouse for Wheeler Nodine, and I would surely love to know the story of how Sarah went from her biological parents' home in Michigan to the Henry Milner residence in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio.

No comments: