Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sentimental Sunday: 20 Mule Team Borax Advertisement


Recently I ran into this advertisement for 20 Mule Team Borax on Google Books in Volume 78 of Southern Planter. 20 Mule Team Borax has been a natural laundry booster for over one hundred years. It can still be found on shelves of supermarkets, grocery stores, and hardware stores today. Though I don't recall my mom ever using 20 Mule Team Borax on laundry day, I can distinctly remember the old television ads for this product as my dad watched Death Valley Days on television.  According to WikiPedia, Death Valley Days was broadcast on radio until 1945 and continued on television from 1952 to 1975. Here is a snapshot of my parents and me, along with my Aunt Pat in the early 1950s.

















My parents' wedding picture is on top of the 1950s era television, along with an ashtray, of course!














2 comments:

Magda said...

Love the picture and statement about wedding portrait and ashtray on TV. When I looked at it, happy memories about my grandmother's little house. Also look at the saddle shoes. My grandmother taught me how to use borax to wash my kids diapers so my kids were the only ones on the block that did not wear disposables!

Dorene from Ohio said...

We used cloth diapers with our first two kids, when most other folks had switched to disposables:)