Saturday, June 25, 2011
J. O. Moss, Banker
While usually referred to as Mr. J. O. Moss,or Jay O. Moss, a listing on Rootsweb sites the name of the person associated with this grave marker as "Jared Joseph Osborn Moss." Jay O. Moss was born on November 8, 1838 to Augustus Hitchcock and Mary Esther Moss in Sandusky, Ohio. Helen Hansen wrote in her book AT HOME IN EARLY SANDUSKY that three generations of the Moss family contributed to the progress of the city in the field of banking, railroads, and other public developments. The Moss Brothers Bank appears in the 1855 Sandusky City Directory.
Jay O. Moss was the unpaid paymaster at Johnson's Island. After the Civil War, he went into the banking business with his father. He eventually became the president of the Moss National Bank, until the business was liquidated. Jay O. Moss also was associated with the Sandusky, Mansfield, and Newark Railroad and the Sandusky Street Railway.
Mrs. Moss was the former Frances Boalt, daughter of Charles L. Boalt. Mrs. J. O. Moss was personally acquainted with Andrew Carnegie. Through her efforts, she appealed to Mr. Carnegie for a donation of $50,000 to be used for the building of a public library in Sandusky. A history of the Sandusky Library is found at the Sandusky Library web site. A photograph of Mrs. J. O. Moss is featured on the Sandusky History web site.
An article about the lovely home of Mr. and Mrs. Jay O. Moss, at 414 Wayne Street, is on page 10 of AT HOME IN EARLY SANDUSKY. Jay O. Moss died on June 27, 1911, and is buried in Oakland Cemetery.