Saturday, June 4, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal History & Genealogy: Books










The prompt for Week 23 of 52 Weeks of Personal History & Genealogy, by Amy Coffin of We Tree, and hosted by Geneabloggers, is: Books

What was your favorite book, or who was your favorite author from your childhood? What do you like to read now? Books or other formats?

My favorite book as a child was ANGUS AND THE CAT, by Marjorie Flack.
















(Image courtesy Ebay)


I received it as a gift from my beloved first grade teacher Mrs. Pack, as a reward for turning in the most book reports in her class at Venice Elementary School. Mrs. Pack is the teacher in the picture below, and I am in the row immediately beneath her picture. (Billy F. is next to Mrs. Pack, and Tim S. is beside me.)























When I was young I read as often as I could. During the summer months I used to sit outside in the front yard, waiting for my summer issues of the Weekly Reader to arrive at our mailbox. Now, my favorite type of book is biography. When I read THE SEVEN WORLDS OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT, by Edward Wagenknecht, I was amazed at TR’s many interest and talents. He was more than willing to go off to war, but when he was home, he read poetry to the children. He was one of America’s greatest conservationists, but he loved to hunt wild game. What a remarkable bundle of energy our 26th President was! I usually read biographies in a traditional book format, but often I find biographical information online at Google Books as well. Seeking information is what I do at our local public library during work hours, and then I continue to seek genealogical and cemetery information in my spare time as well. I find that books can take me to far away places, and they often hold the key to unlocking mysteries.

No comments: