Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Harding Memorial Re-Visited

















When my husband and I visited the Harding Memorial in 2009, the Memorial was roped off with orange tape due to renovations. Now visitors can climb the steps of the Harding Memorial again. The Harding Memorial is the final resting place of our 29th American President, Warren G. Harding, who died in 1923, and his wife, the former Florence Kling, who died in 1924.






















The Harding Memorial was made from Georgia marble supplied from the Georgia Marble Company in Tate, Georgia, and has classical Doric features. If you are ever in Ohio, consider visiting the Harding Home and Memorial in Marion, Ohio. The memorial is an awe-inspiring sight, and a tour of the Harding Home provides many historical facts about our 29th U.S. President and his wife.
















Many thanks to my husband, who is a fellow history fan, and an extraordinary chauffeur!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to re-visit this memorial myself. You've just convinced me to bump it up on my list. It's beautiful!

Dorene from Ohio said...

That's terrific!

It is totally free to visit the Harding Memorial! The Veterans Park across the street is a great place to visit as well!

PalmsRV said...

It's been several years since we visited the Harding Memorial. If I remember correctly, we could see the Memorial from Jim's great-grandparents' graves (across the street, perhaps?). We passed by his house a few weeks ago when we met some friends in Marion. Jim and I need to go back to Marion to brush up on history and genealogy.

Dorene from Ohio said...

There is a beautiful cemetery with many historic features right across from the Harding Memorial!

PalmsRV said...

Thanks Dorene for verifying the presence of the cemetery across from the Harding Memorial. Glad my memory is not playing tricks on me (at least this time!).