Thursday, March 10, 2011
Guy W. House
Guy W. House was born on January 28, 1887 to Mr. and Mrs. Lewis W. House of Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio. He attended Oberlin College, and he earned a law degree from the University of Michigan in 1912. Guy House served as a Colonel with the 112th Ammunition Train in France during World War One. After the war, Col. House established a law office in Cleveland, Ohio. Later he was associated with the Glidden Paint and Varnish Co., and the DeSoto Paint and Varnish Co. At the time of his death, on March 20, 1938, Guy House and his wife, the former Isabell Hartley, were residing in Memphis, Tennessee.
An obituary for Guy W. House, found in the 1938 OBITUARY NOTEBOOK at the Sandusky Library, stated that the Charles J. Andrews Sons Funeral Home in Sandusky was crowded to capacity with callers for the funeral of Guy House. Rev. Donald Wonders conducted the funeral service, and burial for Mr. House was at the Perkins Cemetery. Pallbearers were Harry Smith, A.F. Mills, Leroy Parker, Harry Storrs, Elon House, and Stanton Minor. Guy W. House was survived by his parents, six sisters, a brother, and a host of other relatives and friends.
Sadly, this was the second child of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis W. House to pass away within a three month time span. Lois House Parker, Guy's sister, had died just the previous November. We can only imagine the sadness in the hearts of the large House family, who lost loved ones at such a young age.