Saturday, March 19, 2011

Week 12 of 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History: Movies

















The prompt for Week 12 of 52 Weeks of Personal History & Genealogy, by Amy Coffin of We Tree, and hosted by Geneabloggers, is: Movies.

•Week 12: Movies. Did (or do you still) see many movies? Describe your favorites. Where did you see these films? Is the theater still there, or is there something else in its place?

Ever since childhood, I have loved the movies! Seeing the adventures on the big screen help me escape from the challenges of every day life, and take me to a wonderful world of make-believe. I loved hearing Julie Andrews sing "The hills are alive..." from "The Sound of Music." "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" makes me long for honesty in politics. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable make me laugh every time I see "It Happened One Night." My spouse and I used to sing the lyrics from "Camelot" to one another. My children loved seeing the "Karate Kid" movies, and now my grandchildren enjoy watching Buzz Lightyear and Woody in the "Toy Story" movies. Most of the time I went to the movies as a child or young adult, we went to the Sandusky State Theatre. The State Theatre is located at the site of the former West House hotel.


















While occasionally movies are still shown at the State, most often the performances there are live dramatic or musical events. The theatre has been totally renovated since I was a kid. Here is a view of the window where customers can purchase tickets.
























Decorative panels inside the theatre display a representation of the four seasons,and the chandelier is breathtaking.














Even now when I go to the large movie theater near our local mall, my heart skips a beat. I love the movies, and so did my parents and grandparents as well!