Saturday, March 3, 2012

March 3rd Prompt for Fearless Females

Lisa Alzo from The Accidental Genealogist has once again launched a series of prompts to honor the "Fearless Females" in our Family Trees. The prompt for March 3rd is:

Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.












My first name is Dorene. Mom told me that she selected that name because the first three letters were from the first part of my maternal grandmother's first name, Doris. The last three letters were from the last portion of the Great Grandma Irene's name.

Thus, Dor + ene = Dorene!

Even though there was a Mouseketeer named Doreen, whose name had a variation of the spelling of my first name, there were surely never pencils, stickers, or hair barrettes with the name Dorene! I used to long for a name like Linda or Debbie, so that I could find items at the dime store that had my name on them! As time has gone by, I have grown to love my name, because it really is unique.

Pictured below are my mom Joyce, the youngest person in the picture; her mother Doris Wheeler Parker, her grandmother, Irene Larkins Risko, and her great grandfather Tom Larkins.


My mom's name when she was born was Joyce Emada Parker. The name "Emada" was created by my Grandma Doris, by joining the names Emma and Ada. Emma was mom's step great grandmother's name, the second wife of my Great Great Grandpa Tom Larkins. Ada was the first name of my Great Grandmother, Ada Steen Parker. Grandma Doris loved these two older members of the family, and she wanted to honor them in my mom's middle name. Through the years, Mom was called "Joyce Tomato" or "Choice Tomato," always in a loving, yet light hearted tone.




My great grandmother Ada Steen Parker, who provided the "Ada" in Mom's middle name, Emada, is holding me in the snapshot below.

No comments: