Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Rewarding Day: Combining Old and New Resources


Because my hobby and occupation both involve genealogy, it was a very rewarding today! A patron from out of state came in today, and it just so happens that the person she was researching was in my Family Tree. We are very distant cousins on one of Mom's Irish lines. After some searching, I tracked down a birth record on Family Search, from 1811, in the England and Wales Non-Conformist Records. Google Books led me to a listing in the HISTORY OF THE WESTERN RESERVE, and the 1855 Sandusky City Directory. A FindaGrave record provided an image of the tombstone of the person our patron was researching. The Archives Research Center at the library where I work held photographs of descendants. A quick Google search yielded obituaries of the son and granddaughter of our person in question. The Ohio Obituary Index gave the exact citation of three obituaries of our person! A database from Old Newark provided the year and location of the couple for whom we were looking! It is amazing how the Internet, combined with traditional resources, can quickly help us along the path of family research! It is an exciting time to be a researcher!

















*Note - names and specific records found have been withheld to ensure privacy. (Top image courtesy ClipArtHeaven.)

2 comments:

Sheri Fenley said...

I just love stories with happy endings. You must love your job Dorene!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sheri! I really, truly do love my job!