Saturday, September 17, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History: Hobbies

The prompt for Week 38 of 52 Weeks of Personal History & Genealogy, by Amy Coffin of We Tree, and hosted by Geneabloggers, is: Hobbies

Did you have any hobbies as a child? Which ones?






















My favorite hobby when I was a child was reading. Mom said I loved to have Little Golden books read to me. One summer I can remember reading LITTLE PEAR for the Reading for Fun Club at the local library. As our family got larger, I often read Mother Goose rhymes to my baby sister Kellie. With the verse "Old Mother Hubbard," I would make up my own verses, like "He went to McDonald's to get a hamburger," or "He went to the beach to take a swim." Through the years I have read often to my three children, and then to my young grandsons. Nowadays, I do much of my reading at the computer. Reading takes to me to places and eras that are far away, and I agree with Emily Dickinson, "There is no frigate like a book...."

No comments: