Saturday, January 29, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History: Food















An announcement appeared at Geneabloggers for Week 5 of 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History, a series of weekly blogging prompts from Amy Coffin at We Tree. Week 5 asks us about our favorite food:

Favorite Food: What was your favorite food from childhood? If it was homemade, who made it? What was in this dish, and why was it your favorite? What is your favorite dish now?




























When I think back to my childhood, there was hardly any food that I didn't like! Mom made wonderful suppers every night. Some of my favorites were roast turkey and dressing, roast pork and sauerkraut, meat loaf, pot roast, and of course the wonderful desserts. Dessert was usually a cake, made from a boxed mix, but yummy all the same!

My absolutely favorite dessert from my childhood was chocolate pudding. It was made on the stovetop, and Mom served it in small individual glass dishes. The ingredients were simply milk and the pudding mix. After the pudding had cooled in the refrigerator for a time, it had a "skin" on top, which was the best part in my opinion! The modern instant chocolate puddings are delicious, but the puddings made on the stovetop were so much richer. Below is an advertisement for Royal Pudding from the March 4, 1957 issue of Life Magazine, accessed at Google Books. (The Royal ad is from page 117.)













As for my favorite food now....as in my childhood, there is hardly anything that I DON'T like! My family can attest to that fact.

4 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Gosh, I hadn't thought about those puddings from a mix in a long time. I liked the skin, too!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Well I am so glad to hear that someone else liked those puddings! I loved it when we had that dessert when I was little.

TK said...

LOL! The skin was my favorite part too, Dorene... still is!

We had fabulous dinners like that every night too, although often they were cooked by my dad. His work schedule was about two hours earlier than my mom's, so he's the one who had dinner on the table when she got home, rather than the other way around. They were both good cooks. I don't think I realized at the time how much effort it took to put that kind of meal on the table every night, especially after a full day at work. I miss those dinners! (...except for that heinous salmon casserole recipe!)

Dorene from Ohio said...

Thanks for stopping by, T.K.! When my mom was in the hospital having a baby, my Grandma would bring up "wiener stew." It was not a crowd favorite, but my dad sure liked it!