Friday, December 10, 2010

Blog Caroling: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus



















Footnote Maven
has challenged GeneaBloggers to blog about their favorite Christmas carol. While not a traditional Christmas carol, my youngest brother Matt stole the Christmas show in his Kindergarten class when he sang I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus at Venice School, many years ago.














Here are the lyrics to I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, courtesy of lyricsplayground:

I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night.
She didn't see me creep
down the stairs to have a peep;
She thought that I was tucked
up in my bedroom fast asleep.

Then, I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white;
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If Daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night.


Matt went on to sing solos in countless school concerts, church services, holiday events, and many weddings. He even sang to his lovely bride on their wedding day! Whenever the children's choir sang at Grace Lutheran Church in Castalia, Ohio, we could always hear Matt's voice above all the other choir members.

According to an article by Valerie J. Nelson in the March 10, 2009 issue of the Los Angeles Times, Jimmy Boyd sang this novelty hit song when he was only 13 years old, in 1952. The song's music and lyrics were written by Tommy Johnson, and was also sung by numerous other artists through the years, including the Jackson Five.

Though our parents are gone now, the memory of Matt singing I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus is still fresh in the mind of all of his sisters and brothers! We love you Matt!

4 comments:

Judith Richards Shubert said...

How sweet a memory! Matt must have had a lovely voice. I love that little song. Thanks, Dorene.

Dorene from Ohio said...

Matt is all grown up now, with four kids of his own, but he continues to be an awesome baby brother to me:)

JamaGenie said...

Awesome post and an even better family tradition (of sorts)! One year I tailored a few verses of the poem 'Twas The Night Before Christmas to fit our household, copies of which were included in our Christmas cards and re-worked as circumstances changed. Still makes me smile when I come across one version or another while unpacking Christmas decorations.

Dorene from Ohio said...

I love the idea of tailoring songs we know to fit the current situation:)