Sunday, April 18, 2010
Mrs. Mary West Anderson
Mary West was born in Sandusky in 1863, to Mr. and Mrs. Abel Kingsbury West. Mary's father and uncle owned the West House hotel in Sandusky. About 1891, Mary West married George F. Anderson, grandson of Sandusky's first physician.
George F. Anderson, who was prominent in business as well as musical circles in Sandusky, died in 1937. Widowed, Mary West Anderson eventually moved to New York City, to be near her daugher Marjorie Anderson, who was a college professor at Hunter College in the English department. Before moving to New York, Mary West Anderson had served on the Board of Trustees of the Sandusky Library Association, and she had been a charter member of the Martha Pitkin Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Mary West Anderson outlived both her husband and daughter. Marjorie Anderson passed away on November 29, 1954. Mrs. Anderson died on April 8, 1955 in New York, at the age of 91. Her obituary which appeared in the April 9, 1955 issue of the Sandusky Register stated that "Mrs. Anderson was the sole survivor of a pioneer family of this city, all of whom had contributed to local history." Her remains were brought back to Sandusky, and she was buried in the West family lot at Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery.