This image of Caspar/Casper Molitor appears opposite page 486 in the book PIONEER RECOLLECTIONS OF THE EARLY 30s AND 40s IN SANDUSKY COUNTY, OHIO. According to the biographical sketch of Caspar Molitor in this publication, he was born in Rhenish, Prussia, Germany in 1828 to Joseph and Katrina Molitor. Caspar Molitor grew up in his homeland of Germany. Because of unrest in his native land, he moved to France in 1849. He emigrated to the United States in 1851, and he moved around, living for a time in Wisconsin, and then in Cincinnati and Springfield, Ohio. After returning to Germany from 1869 to 1871, Caspar Molitor moved back to Ohio, and he settled in Sandusky from 1873 to 1877. In 1877, Caspar Molitor moved to Ottawa County, where he purchased land and erected a winery. In the 1890s, Mr. Molitor's winery was one of the largest in Ottawa County.
The first wife of Caspar Molitor was Katrina/Katharina, who was the widow of Edward Hemish. The first Mrs. Molitor passed away in 1877. In 1881, Caspar Molitor took a second wife, Josephine. They had five children, three of whom survived until 1900, Bertha born in 1884, Theresa, born in 1885, and Marguiretta, born in 1889. Caspar Molitor died on January 6, 1906. Though he had a successful winery in Ottawa County, Ohio, he was buried in Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery. Mr. Molitor's name appears on the side of the monument which faces to the east.
The name of the first wife of Caspar, Mrs. Katharina Molitor (1828-1877) appears on the monument along with the name of another member of the extended Molitor family, Amelia Molitor (1845-1880.)
One of the daughters of Caspar Molitor was Bertha M. Molitor, who lived until 1957. Her name appears on the monument along with the name of Magdalena Molitor, who may have been a child of Caspar's that died in infancy.
Mrs. Josephine Molitor, the second wife of Caspar Molitor, was born in 1860, and she passed away in 1927.
The Molitor monument features exquisite carved flowers and a draped cloth with tassels.