Sunday, August 30, 2009
A. W. Prout
Andrew W. Prout was born in Bloomingville in 1837. (Prior to 1838, Bloomingville was part of Huron County, but after 1838, Bloomingville was part of Erie County.) He moved to Sandusky in 1856. Mr. Prout was a banker, and also had an insurance business, and was treasurer of many local organizations. Andrew W. Prout was founder of the first interurban electric railway system out of Sandusky. His wife was Sarah M. Richmond. He was survived by a son and daughter, George R. Prout and Mrs. Sakie Merz.
The unincorporated community known as “Prout’s Station” was named for the father of Andrew W. Prout, who had the same name.The elder Andrew W. Prout was an early settler of Prout's Station. Andrew W. Prout died in 1913 and is buried in Sandusky’s Oakland Cemetery. Obituaries for Andrew W. Prout are found in the June 2 and June 3 issues of the Sandusky Register.