Saturday, August 8, 2009
Mrs. Cordelia "Corky" Johnson
Morris and Cordelia Johnson are pictured in 1952, with the daughter of family friends. Cordelia Johnson was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Lerch. During the 1940's and 1950's, Cordelia, known fondly as "Corky," was a supervisor at Periodical Publishers, located on the west side of Sandusky, near Lions Park. Corky mentored the many young women who worked as typists at Periodical, listening to their problems, and offering counsel in a gentle manner. She was active in the Catawba Union Chapel, the Chapel Mother's Club, the VFW auxiliary, and the Rebekah Lodge. Cordelia's husband was Morris Johnson, who worked as a Sohio distributor of fuel oil for many years in the Port Clinton area. Morris also worked for twenty years at the Erie Army Depot in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Cordelia Johnson passed away on August 8, 1970, at the age of 60. She was survived by her husband Morris, a son from a former marriage, two grandchildren, a brother and a sister. Her funeral was held at the Catawba Union Chapel, located near the Miller Boat Dock in Ottawa County. There were so many people at Mrs. Johnson's funeral that some people had to sit in the back room, where they could hear the minister, but could not see him. "Corky" was a beloved person, missed by her family, neighbors, friends, co-workers, and church family.
Morris Johnson later remarried, but he always stayed in touch with Cordelia's brother and sister. Morris Johnson died on May 25, 1982. He was buried with Cordelia Lerch Johnson in the Catawba Island Township Cemetery.