William G. Armitage was born in 1895 in Akron, Ohio. He was educated at Holy Ghost Missionary College at Cornwell Heights, Pennsylvania; St. Mary Seminary in Norwalk, Connecticut; and at St. Mary Seminary of Cleveland, Ohio. After serving parishes in Sandusky and Toledo, Father Armitage was appointed to Sandusky's Holy Angels Church on September 3, 1936. Holy Angels Church celebrated its centennial under Father William Armitage's leadership.
A history of Holy Angels Church, published in 1976, gives us insight into the life and character of Father William G. Armitage. During the 1940's, Father Armitage went to Mexico to study the Spanish language, so he could better serve the Spanish speaking migrant workers who attended Holy Angels.
Having a special place in his heart for young people, Father Armitage allowed children to roller skate in the old parish hall, and he was known to loan his vehicle to young men for their dates. Rev. Armitage sponsored festivals in the church parking lot, and he often was an anonymous donor of groceries and clothing for church members in need. When Vatican II provided new rules for the liturgy, Father Armitage was the first Catholic pastor in Sandusky to abide by the new rulings.
Rev. William G. Armitage was the minister of Holy Angels Church from 1936 to June 15, 1970. He died on November 11, 1971 in Sandusky. Father Armitage is buried in the Priests Circle of St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery in Sandusky.