Saturday, September 5, 2015

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: 5th Grade Memories

Randy, at Genea-Musings, has given this assignment today:

1)  Remember when you were 10 or 11 years old and in fifth grade at school?  Was that one of the best times in your life?  Or not?

2)  Tell us about your fifth grade memories and the highlights of that time of your life - in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or on Facebook or Google+.

===================================================

When I was in the 5th Grade, I attended this building in Castalia, a part of Margaretta Local Schools. 

My teacher was Mrs. Hacker. I thought she was the most beautiful lady I had ever seen! (And she even knew my neighbor Johnny.)In the 5th grade, our big field trip was to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. It was so much fun! We got to go to Dearborn on the train, and he had to bring both a packed lunch and supper. I don't recall a lot of what we learned, but we had the basic classes: math, social studies, music, language arts, science, and physical education. Also, I enrolled in band for the first time in Grade 5. I played trombone, and later switched to alto clarinet.

Image courtesy commons.wikipedia.org

For one six weeks term we actually got to go swimming in the school's pool. One special memory I have is that when I was in the 5th grade, my mother announced she was going to have another baby. I was so excited that I told my teacher, and everyone in my class. Matt wasn't born until I was in the fall of Grade 6, but he was so special. I honestly cannot recall ever having a real argument with Matt. Because I was 11 when he was born, I was like another mother figure to him.

















Now the old school serves as a Middle School. Matt is all grown up, with four children. His oldest recently got married. Thanks for sparking these terrific memories, Randy!

No comments: