Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wisdom Wednesday: Things My Mother Used To Tell Us


















My mom, Joyce Parker Orshoski,  and I are pictured above, when I was about 10 ten years old. Mom had several sayings that she told us over and over again, and I am sure that most of them were sayings that she had heard from the adults in her life. Here are some of the words of wisdom she gave us six children:


"Always do your best."

'If you can't anything nice, don't say anything at all!"

"When God closes a door, he always opens a window."

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

"Don't knock it until you've tried it."

When someone was being mean to us , Mom would tell us to "Kill them with kindness."

When kids teased me about being short, she told me to tell them, "Good things come in small packages."

When we had a cold, Mom would say: "Wear your socks; put Vicks under your nose; and take a Vitamin C."

When everything was going wrong, she'd say, "Cheer up, things could be
worse; and sure enough, I cheered up and things got worse!"

Mom used to put a picture of a cat at the bottom of the refrigerator,
so that our cat Patches would have something interesting to look at, at her own level.

What words of wisdom did your parents give to the children in your family?

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I've been thinking of doing a post like this for a while but just haven't gotten around to it yet. My mom's sayings were different from your mom's, and sometimes they drove me nuts (as a kid). But now I hear wisdom in them when I repeat them to myself. Strange how time, age, and experience change our perspective, huh?

Dorene from Ohio said...

Nancy, I am amazed at how many times my mom's saying pop into my thoughts! I look forward to hearing the sayings your mom had.

Janice Harshbarger said...

"Whoever told you life was fair?"

Dorene from Ohio said...

Janice - That is a good one! Thanks for sharing!