Saturday, April 6, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: "Where I'm From Poem"

Randy over at Genea-Musings has given us this challenge for the April 6 edition of "Saturday Night Genealogy Fun".

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!): 

1)  Write a poem about "Where I'm From" using the template found at the websitehttp://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm

2)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Google Plus or Facebook note.


=============================================================
Here is my "Where I'm From" poem:













I am from  Sandusky Bay; from Toft's ice cream, and "breakfast by the bay."

I am from the a house filled with kids, with chocolate cake in the oven, and practical jokesters. 


I am from the Cottonwood tree, burs on my socks, forsythia bushes,  maple trees, and geese flying over the marsh.


I am from huge family dinners,  big bear hugs, from  Gram Em and Grandpa Joe, and Aunt Sal and Aunt Bets.


I am from going to town on Friday night, and to church on Sunday morning; from baby showers, weddings, graduation parties, and Scout camp.


From "kill them with kindness" and  "good things come in small packages."


I am from shouting Methodists, catechism learning Lutherans, Catholics filled with hope, and church potluck dinners.


I'm from the Buckeye state, the feisty Irish, the sedate British, ornery Hungarians, and stubborn Germans; from weiner stew and giant sugar cookies. 


From  a double dose of hyperactivity, from early risers, and hard workers, and nurturing women folk, from "I never met a stranger" and a great big dose of curiosity and unconditional love.


I am from  family pictures, scrapbooks, and lining up


to get the family photo taken. 














Thanks for this fun edition of SNGF, Randy! It was great to take a walk down Memory Lane! 

2 comments:

Shelley Bishop said...

This is lovely, Dorene, and I really enjoyed it. You must have so many wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Thanks so much Shelley! Randy has the greatest ideas for Saturday Night Genealogy fun!