Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Memories of the Girl Scouts


2012 marks the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts of America.  From the time I was in Grade 2 through Grade 12, I was a member of the Girl Scouts. Through those many years, I made many wonderful memories. We made crafts, had festive parties, put on skits, and  sang fun songs. As I got older, we got to go camping, and have special learning opportunities. We learned how to hike, how to cook over an open fire, and work as a team. As a teen, we attended cooking school at the Gas Company, and toured a beauty college. We went to series of classes on "Home Nursing," where I learned health and safety facts that I still recall to this day. A special overnight trip during my high school years was a trip to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. We got to stay in a dorm, and the staff there saw that we went to breakfast via a hay ride. 

During several of my years in Scouts, my leader was Mrs. Winifred Sessler. Mrs. Sessler worked at the school cafeteria, and had a family of her own, but she still devoted many hours to being a Scout leader. For a special treat, she used to invite us to her own kitchen, and taught us how to make homemade "all day" suckers. Thanks for your years of service to the Girl Scouts, Mrs. Sessler! In May of 1980, Mrs. Sessler passed away at the age of 67. She was laid to rest in the Venice Cemetery, not far from her home, and the Venice School, where we had many a Scout meeting!

 

(Note: Image of  Girl Scout emblem from Wikipedia.)


No comments: