Thursday, December 1, 2016

When Grandpa Roy Wrote an Essay about an Ear of Corn

















Recently, while I was looking through the "Schools" collection at the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center, I came across the title of an essay written by my great grandfather, Roy Parker (also known as Leroy Parker)  in  1895. The essay was for the Sophomore Literary Class of Sandusky High School. It was entitled "What an Ear of Corn Told Me about Itself." 


















Grandpa Roy was born and raised on a farm in Perkins Township, so he was definitely well acquainted with vegetable crops. How I would love to have heard his essay!! 




If your local library has an archives, check it out - -you may find information about your ancestors there! I have a difficult time imagining Grandpa Roy as a high school sophomore, since he died when I was quite young. Here is a picture of my great grandparents from the 1950s.









No comments: