McKelvey's Sandusky City Directory, we read that Philip Hornig was in business with Alexander Hornig at a marble works at the corner of Market and Jackson Streets in Sandusky, Ohio. Philip was residing at 89 Monroe Street in Sandusky in 1867. The tombstone below, for Lieut. Dolsen VanKirk, found at Oakland Cemetery, was created at the Hornig Marble Works.
The inscription of the monument maker reads:
P. and J. Hornig
Vital records on file at FamilySearch indicate that Philipp Hornig and Mary Shatzer applied for a marriage license in Cuyahoga County, Ohio on May 4, 1868. By the time of the 1880 U.S. Census, the Hornig family was residing in Sandusky, Erie County, Ohio. The family unit at that time consisted of:
Philip Hornig, age 41, born in Germany, occupation marble cutter
Mary Hornig, age 32, born in Ohio
Albert Hornig, age 10, born in Ohio
Willie Hornig, age 9, born in Ohio
Robert Hornig, age 7,born in Ohio
Herbert Hornig, age 4, born in Ohio
Roland Hornig, age 2
By 1900, the Hornig family had re-located to the city of Cleveland, Ohio, where Philip Hornig was still employed as a marble cutter. On October 21, 1906, Philip Hornig passed away in Cleveland, Ohio. His remains were brought back to Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery. Several members of the Hornig family are buried in the family lot at Oakland.