According to Helen Hansen's book AT HOME IN EARLY SANDUSKY, Gottlieb Epple, Jr. was born in Germany in 1831. He came to the U.S. in 1851, and eventually settled in Sandusky, Ohio. In 1856, Gottlieb Epple married Louisa Wise/Weis, and they adopted a son whom they named Frederick Epple. Gottlieb Epple was deeded a corner of land at the northwest corner of Columbus Avenue and West Monroe Street, from Lucas S. Beecher. Mr. Epple had a saloon at this corner, and later a restaurant. In 1882, Gottlieb Epple became a dealer in hard and soft wood. Mr. Epple was best known for his "street sprinkling" business. The dirt roads would often become dusty, and sprinkling the streets with water helped the dust to settle, making for better traveling conditions in the horse and buggy era. On August 28, 1910, Gottlieb Epple, listed on his death record as John Gottlieb Epple, died at the age of 79, after suffering from bronchitis and pneumonia. He was buried at Sandusky's Oakland Cemetery. Mrs. Louise Epple had died in 1900.
Frederick Epple died from typhoid in 1914. After Frederick's son died in 1961, the property formerly owned by Gottlieb Epple was willed to the city of Sandusky, Ohio. The three buildings which stood on the property at the northwest corner of Columbus Avenue and West Monroe Street were torn down, and now the area is known as Epple Corner, a part of the city of Sandusky's Parks and Recreation Department.