Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Doors of Faith: Holy Angels Church in Sandusky, Ohio






















Many of my Cross and Larkins ancestors worshiped in Sandusky, Ohio at Holy Angels Catholic Church. Charles Cross, my fourth great grandfather, was Sandusky's first Catholic Mayor. He and his wife and children all attended church at Holy Angels. My great great granduncle, Nicholas Charles Cross, became Brother Sulpicious with the Xaverian Brothers. He taught religion at Catholic schools in Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, and Massachusetts. His earliest religious training was in Sandusky, Ohio at Holy Angels Church. Below is a baptism record of Nicholas Charles Cross, sometimes known as Charles Nicholas Cross, from Holy Angels.






In 1844, both my Irish ancestor Daniel Larkins, and my English born ancestor Charles Cross, signed a resolution which was published in the newspaper, that the "Sons of the Emerald Isle" resolved to celebrate St. Patrick's Day on temperance principles, without any intoxicating beverages. They participated in a temperance parade and a banquet, with the proceeds from the banquet to go to Holy Angels Church.






















Many more members of my extended family attended Holy Angels Church, which was founded in 1839. My grandsons also both attended PreSchool in the educational wing of Holy Angels Church. While I was not raised as a Catholic, I have a deep faith in God, and I truly respect the faithfulness of my Cross and Larkins ancestors, as they played an active role in their church home, Holy Angels.






5 comments:

PalmsRV said...

Very impressive roots in Sandusky, Dorene!

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

I love the name of this church, Dorene! Thanks so much for sharing your family's connection to it. I had to laugh because I first read one sentence too quickly and thought it was Brother "Suspicious"... oops!

Thanks for submitting your family's Doors of Faith to The Catholic Gene!

Dorene from Ohio said...

I think that Brother Sulpicious was called Brother Suspicious often...!!

David said...

Saw "Suspicious" too :)

Larkins also caught my eye. Have you come across a Gregory Larkin (sometimes spelled Larkins) or his sister Elizabeth who was married to Thomas Costello? Her 1894 death record says that she was buried in Sandusky, possibly St Joseph Cemetery.

Dorene from Ohio said...

There were at least two different lines of Larkin/Larkins families in Sandusky, and I have not sorted them all out yet! We still don't even have the home town from Ireland for our Larkins family yet...one of those brick walls! Mom always wanted to go to every Catholic Church in Tipperary to try to find them :)