Friday, August 30, 2019

My Baby Brother Matt Orshoski, 1962-2019

My youngest brother, Matthew Steen Orshoski, passed away peacefully this morning, after a long battle with multiple sclerosis. Matt and I never had cross words. He was supportive of me through all the ups and downs of life, which were many. Since I was 11 when he was born, I literally saw him grow up!

One of my first memories of Matt was before he was born! I told my Aunt Betty, who lived next door, that I wanted to give my mom a baby shower, even though it was her fifth baby. Well Aunt Betty's mom Audrey owned the Log Cabin, a restaurant in our small community. Aunt Betty paid for everything, I am sure, and she arranged for a lovely baby shower for my mom, in a the special party room at the Log Cabin. Everyone had a wonderful time.

The summer Mom was expecting Matt, a family friend, Bill K., used to drop off fresh sweet corn and tomatoes to our house, on his way across the Sandusky Bay to make a delivery to a farm market. Mom loved that fresh produce so much! Matt loved sports, and he practically grew up on the ball field in Bay View, where my Dad coached baseball.























Matt and his wife wanted to have a family, and it was quite some time before that happened. They went on to have four children, three grandchildren, and another baby on the way. Matt loved his family SO much!
















The last several years, Matt's health declined more and more. He spent over three years in a nursing home. Having been a coach, a plumber, and active in the church and community, it was frustrating for him to be so idle. His greatest joy was when loved ones would visit. More than one person has said that they went to see Matt to cheer him up, but it turned out that Matt cheered up the visitor instead! Matt is at peace now, and since singing was one of his favorite pastimes, I can picture him singing in a Heavenly choir!!! We are glad he will be reunited with our mom and dad.

















Love you Matt O., and thanks for all the memories!!

This link takes you to the obituary of Matt Orshoski.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, Dorene, I'm so sorry to read this. It's heartbreaking to lose a loved one, even when we know they are past pain and suffering. Your brother sounds like a wonderful man!

Miss Merry said...

My sympathy on the loss of your brother. He certainly sounds like quite a guy and I know he will be sincerely missed by all his family. Those are lovely pictures. Again, very sorry for your loss.