William H. Dilgart was born in Lucas County, Ohio in 1875 to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Dilgart. William came to Sandusky, Ohio in 1901, and he opened a furniture store in the Odd Fellows Building. In 1905, he formed a partnership with William P. Bittner. This advertisement for Dilgart and Bittner appeared in the Sandusky Register of June 9, 1906. By this time the furniture store had moved to Market Street. Later, the store would move to Washington Row.
In the mid-1920s, the partnership between Mr. Dilgart and Mr. Bittner was dissolved, but William H. Dilgart continued in the furniture business. William H. Dilgart was a director and vice president of the first merchants association in Sandusky. He was also active in the Masons, Knights of Pythias, Elks Lodge, the Oxford Grange, and the Sandusky Rotary Club. William H. Dilgart passed away on March 28, 1940. He was survived by his wife Margaret, a daughter, three sisters and two brothers. Mr. William H. Dilgart was buried at Sandusky’s Oakland Cemetery.