Saturday, February 19, 2011
Carl L. and Frederica M. Engels
Born in Germany, Carl Louis Engels came to Sandusky in 1877. He became successful in local businesses and was one of Sandusky's best known citizens. C.L. Engels was associated with the Engels and Krudwig Wine Company, which had been started by his father Herman Engels in 1878. In 1882 C.L. Engels operated a dry goods store with Mr. Hasselbach, which later was solely operated by C.L. Engels. In 1900, C.L. Engels became head of "Sandusky's Big Store," a large department store which was very popular with area residents. (By the early 1900's, Herb & Myers took over the Big Store.)
(The image above appeared on page 3 of the 1905 book RURAL MAIL DIRECTORY OF ERIE, HURON, AND SANDUSKY COUNTIES, OHIO, published by The Appleby Company.)
In 1895 Carl L. Engels married Frederica Wagner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles V. Wagner. They had a family of three daughters, Helen, Dorothy, and Florence. On February 19, 1935, Carl L. Engels died after contracting pneumonia. His funeral was held at the Masonic Temple, and burial was at Oakland Cemetery. Mr. Engels had been a member of the Elks, the old German Harmonica Singing Society, United Commercial Travelers, and he was very active in Masonic Circles. Mrs. Frederica Engels passed away on June 15, 1938. She was a lifelong resident of Sandusky, and had been a member of Grace Episcopal Church and the Eleanor Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star. To read more about the lives of C.L. and Frederica Engels, see the 1935 and 1938 OBITUARY NOTEBOOKS at the Sandusky Library.