Born in Germany in 1818, John Fisher was a railroad employee who also was the original owner of Fisher's Hall, at the corner of Wayne and Washington Streets in downtown Sandusky. John and his wife Fredericka were the parents of ten children. The book SANDUSKY THEN AND NOW tells us that Fredericka Fisher was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Hemberle, who were natives of Blackenloch, Baden.
John Fisher died on April 23, 1880 at the age of 62 years, 3 months, and 7 days. He is buried at Oakland Cemetery, next to his wife Fredericka who died on April 1, 1895. An obituary for John Fisher appeared in the April 24, 1880 issue of the Sandusky Register. Mr. Fisher's funeral was held at his home at 623 Hancock Street. The tombstone which honors John and Fredericka Fisher features a lot of geometric shapes, with two vertical columns, topped with an urn above the triangular shaped stone over the columns.