Saturday, February 7, 2009
Catholic Cemeteries of Sandusky
The office of the Catholic Cemeteries of Sandusky maintains three cemeteries. Early German Catholics in Sandusky were usually buried in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, located on the west side of Mills Street in Sandusky.
The earliest members of the parishes of Holy Angels Church and Saints Peter and Paul Church in Sandusky were usually buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery, located on the east side of Mills Street in Sandusky. Many surnames of Irish and Italian descent are found in this cemetery.
Rev. Patrick J. Shea, who was born in Kilkenny, Ireland,in 1838, and died on July 13, 1908, is honored with this monument at St. Joseph's Cemetery.
As the population of Sandusky kept growing, a new Catholic Cemetery was created in the late 1920's. Calvary Cemetery is located at the intersection of Tiffin Avenue, Sanford Street, and Venice Road in Sandusky, adjacent to the Mills Street Golf Course.
Several records for persons buried at Calvary Cemetery are available at FindaGrave.
The three photographs pictured above were taken at Calvary Cemetery. On the grounds of Calvary Cemetery is the office for Catholic Cemeteries of Sandusky. During the winter months, children are often seen sledding on the hill that is located between Calvary Cemetery and Mills Creek, while in the spring and summer, golfers enjoy the Mills Creek Golf Course. The contrast between the peaceful serenity of the Catholic cemeteries, and the active participants of sporting activities causes us to reflect that both life and death are part of the natural course of human life.